Sunday, April 18, 2010

RSS feeds: Information Finding for the Lazy Man...or Woman.

RSS feeds have been one of the most helpful tools for me this year. Here is a simple video explaining what they do and what they can do.



Once leaning about RSS feeds and what they do, they have helped me in countless papers and other school related topics, in several classes.

This semester I had/have a quite large research paper due. It is on America's foreign dependency on oil, and I needed sources for research. So I went to my Google Alerts and typed in my subject, and not even five hours later, I received an alert saying how an online magazine had published an article on my exact subject. Bam. One source done. The next day, I checked again, and lo and behold, another source! If I hadn't have tapped into this relatively unknown resource, I would have had a large amount of research to do, where as now, I have cut the amount of work almost in half, if not more.

RSS feeds can be helpful in other ways too. I have used RSS feeds on several website that are constantly being updated, so whenever something new is posted or updated, I know about it. This is very helpful, and saves me the trouble of checking a bunch of websites and finding out there is no new info or updates each day.


RSS feeds could also be very helpful in the business place. If you are selling a product you could use a keyword to find other products or updates on products you are trying to sell, before anyone else does, therefore giving you the upper hand in whatever market you are in, which could mean the difference between staying in business or going out.

There are pretty much countless uses for RSS feeds, ranging from recreational use, like wanting to know about you favorite sports team, to school work, to using RSS feeds in the business place. They are an extremely useful tool, and one that is often overlooked, when it can save a lot of work for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment